NASA Time-Trialer reviews our AP Racing Radi-CAL BBK on his Camaro SS03.21.2022
Jeff and the team at Agile Automotive in Forest Hill, MD are not new to racing scene. They have put together a mean, carbon fiber machine with their 2018 Camaro SS, which has an extensive mod list including our latest heavy duty 390mm front AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kit. Our system provides a laundry list of improvements over the stock brakes, including an approximate 10lbs. unsprung weight reduction from the nose. If you're looking for the ultimate brake package for your Camaro, be sure to read our Gen.6 Camaro AP Racing Brake Kit Buyer's Guide.
Jeff sent us the detailed review below after hammering on our kit for a while. Thank you very much Jeff, and keep up the great work in 2022!
- Your experience level & driving history (e.g.- I have been tracking cars for 10 years with SCCA, etc.)
5 years of on track driving with NASA and a few other orgs. Competitive driver with NASA in TT in 2020 and racer in ST in 2021
- How have our brakes changed your driving experience?
CONFIDENCE!!!! These brakes inspire loads of confidence in the pedal! When I had the factory track Brembos I was always nervous if I would have brakes when I got to a braking zone, they would also have tons of fade and a spongy pedal. I also had a Brembo caliper completely fail at 130mph... Not a fun time. But these calipers have been nothing but confidence inspiring and strong from day 1.
- Problems that the brake kit solved (e.g.- pad fade, disc cracking, soft pedal, etc.)
Spongy pedal, confidence in the brakes, uneven pad wear, excessive pad and rotor wear, confidence, confidence and also confidence.
- Favorite product feature
First off, these brakes are art, they are so beautiful. But my favorite feature would be the endurance pads honestly, not needing new pads every weekend or two is just one less cost.
- Comparison to other products you’ve tried in the past
Compared to the Brembos I've had in the past, it is quite honestly night and day. I mean we're talking high school vs pro level in almost every measurable category.
- Customer service by Essex before and after initial sale
I purchased through a third party, but they told me that they had a great experience in the purchase. And I have had a great experience after owning the kit.
- Documentation and ease of install
I did not install them myself, but my sponsor shop said it was very straightforward, and quite easy.
- Would you buy it again, and would you recommend it to a friend?
I not only would buy again, I intend to buy again and want them to make kits for more platforms. I have recommended them to friends and will continue to do so.
- Anything about the product that you think could be improved?
I guess everyone's complaint? Cost. It's by no means cheap, but you get so much for the money, so it is still worth every penny.
- Race or event wins on our brake kit Multiple wins in NASA Mid-Atlantic/Great Lakes in the 2021 season