For many years Essex has supplied our clients with brake components that bolster confidence as they're used and abused on both the racetrack and the street. We're now pleased to expand our product offerings to include another crucial component that can take one's driving experience to the next level: Wheels.
Like many of the best relationships, Essex met APEX through a mutual interest. In this case, our mutual love of going fast brought us together. Several APEX staff members are currently running our AP Racing by Essex Brake Kits on their track cars, while several Essex employees are rolling on APEX Wheels. After getting to know the APEX team, it became obvious that our companies share a number of core values. Our similarities extend into how we approach new designs, how seriously we treat creating the best products possible, and ultimately how far we go to provide our customers with a positive ownership experience. In summary, we're excited that we can now provide you with wheels that are worthy of covering the AP Racing Brakes you've come to know and love!
Below are some of the common features that you'll find across the APEX Wheel range, all of which go a long way towards reducing the hassles you may have experienced with other brands in the past:
- Fit Matters- An optimized car setup begins with the perfect wheel and tire fitment. That means the right fit and the most grip possible, for the flexibility to work for street enthusiasts and racers alike. Wheel offsets are purposefully chosen to allow for direct bolt-on fitment, or the use of camber bolts, while clearing the factory fenders and struts. The spokes are designed to have as much brake caliper clearance as possible, and they're carefully evaluated to ensure light weight and remarkable strength.
- Brake Barrel Clearance- Spoke clearance is only half the problem. The barrel opening on a wheel needs to be large enough to clear the sides of the brake caliper. Many wheels on the market make aesthetic compromises to their design that have a major negative impact on barrel clearance. Those wheels may work with stock brakes and smaller diameter brake kits, but larger brake kits can pose major clearance problems. APEX wheel barrels open up wider and earlier than most other aftermarket wheels. This creates the largest possible inside diameter to accommodate a wide range of brake kits, including AP Racing by Essex Brake Kits.
- Lug Recess- Unlike the narrow lug recesses of many other wheels, APEX Wheels boast a completely wide-open wheel hardware recess that easily fits race lug-nuts and the beefy adapters or impact sockets used to fit them. This allows for quick and easy wheel changes at the track, or just as a bonus; prevents chips and scratches from tools upon install or removal.
- Hub Centric- Centering rings are never required for a direct fit with APEX wheels. Rings might not sound so bad until one rolls away during a wheel change, or gets seized onto a wheel hub! APEX Wheels are explicitly designed to have a shallow rear chamfer to allow the wheel to remain hub centric even if spacers are used. A wider chamfer could seem appealing, but can cause improper seating and wheel vibration on other wheels.
- Center Cap- Some users like their aftermarket parts to blend in; and APEX Wheels are designed to accept factory center caps. Each wheel ships with an APEX center cap, but you can choose to use your OEM center caps if you prefer that look.
- Wheel Hardware- Aftermarket or OEM lug nuts all work. Go ahead and take your pick!
- TPMS Sensors- The attention to OEM compatibility doesn’t end with center caps and lugs. All APEX wheels accept OEM and aftermarket equivalent TPMS sensors and any standard sized metal or rubber valve stem. TPMS sensors, which monitor tire pressure and communicate to your on-board dash computer, are fully compatible and needn’t be compromised or left out.
- Unfinished lug hole seats, center bores, and mounting pads- Often overlooked, painted or powder coated lug hole seats can cause hardware to loosen or begin the spread of chipping the paint to more visible sections. The APEX Wheels coating process leaves lug holes, center bores and mounting pads unpainted, which ensures proper fit and torque values.
In addition to being incredibly feature-rich, APEX Wheels are fabricated to extremely high standards:
- Flow Formed Models- APEX wheels are produced using a manufacturing process known as flow forming. This process significantly reduces weight in the barrel, which has the greatest impact on rotational mass. During the manufacturing process, rollers apply high pressure to the inner barrel, compressing the aluminum into its final shape. This effectively eliminates porosity and aligns the grain structure of the metal, which increases tensile strength. The end result is a lightweight and extremely strong barrel that equals that of a traditional forged wheel at a fraction of the cost.
- Forged Models-
- Testing and Certifications- Many companies promote their wheels as being certified by the VIA when they actually aren’t. That’s like using the USDA logo on food without permission. APEX wheels get officially tested and registered by the VIA in Japan, and we have the proof to back it up. Learn more about false VIA claims. Japan’s JWL is a commonly followed standard for wheel load ratings. Our flow formed wheels meet, and most exceed, their load rating requirements. Most manufacturers only meet the minimum while some don’t even do that. Check and verify load ratings before you buy. Learn more about wheels that aren’t JWL.
- Weight and Strength Optimization- Various design features are implemented to ensure that the wheel designs are as light and durable as possible. The foundation is a strong, one-piece design featuring an open hub center and reliefs in the mounting pad to remove weight between lug holes. The designs are then run through Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to further optimize the spoke and barrel design. The result is a lightweight wheel with extra strength in all the right places, while keeping weight to a minimum.
- Finishes- All APEX Wheels are finished using a comprehensive multi-stage liquid paint system over a powder coated base coat. Standard finishes include gloss metallic finishes, and semi-gloss or matte finishes. Hyper finishes include an additional coating of a premium liquid-like metallic silver to create a uniquely bright finish that can only be achieved through misting liquid paint.
- Lifetime Warranty- All APEX Wheels come with a lifetime structural warranty and 1 year finish warranty, so you can be confident in your purchase. See here for full terms and conditions.
- 50% Off Replacement Wheels- Do some serious damage to a wheel that’s not covered under warranty? No worries. Curb rash or even totally mangling a wheel in a car accident is covered by the APEX360° program. Apex offers replacements for wrecked wheels at 50% off of standard prices. See the full terms and conditions for more details.
News & Blog
That depends on how you plan to use them!
"Actually freaked out the instructor!"
Smoking the competition by a whopping four seconds!